UDC David A. Clarke School of Law is committed to the academic success of each student, and believes that teaching the skills necessary to attain success in law school and lawyering is an integral part of the curriculum. Every student climbs the law school learning curve at a different speed. UDC Law seeks to aid each student in the transition first to law school and then to the practice of law through a comprehensive combination of courses and programs including:
- One-on-one consultations,
- The Jump Start Program in which students begin law school during the summer focusing on a single course while learning the skills to excel in law school,
- The 1L Lab in which first semester students are introduced to, and practice, the skills essential to success in the context of a doctrinal course,
- Designated courses in which students needing additional practice can sharpen their analytical reasoning skills,
- The Fresh Start Program in which students who underperform are provided an opportunity to start anew,
- The Legal and Bar Success Foundations course in which students focus on skills and substance to enhance their ability to pass the bar exam, and
- Alumni Supplemental Bar Preparation Workshops.
Click for: general information about the bar exam.
Our programs seek to ensure that students who face barriers to the profession have an opportunity to be successful.
|INITIATIVE||General Support||Early Identification & Intervention||Bar Preparation Support||Faculty Development in Teaching & Learning|
|GOAL||Entering students will understand and practice the core skills essential to success in law school.||Early identification of underperforming students so that intervention can assist them to identify the root cause(s) of underperformance and craft a plan for improvement.||As a cohort, graduates taking the bar in any state will have a first-time passage rate that exceeds that state’s first-time passage rate.||Faculty will adopt teaching and learning methodologies that are based on a scientific understanding of how learning works.|